Howard County's Top Ten Endangered Sites, 2005
Route 108/Clarksville Pike Milestone
Milestone #9 is located at the intersection of Route 108 and Great Star Drive in front of the Howard County Safety Training facility. Route 108, built in the 1700s, was originally known as the Ellicott Mills to Montgomery County Courthouse Road. The milestone measures 12 inches wide, 8 inches deep and approximately 30 inches above the grade of the road. The stone material is believed to be from the Ellicott Mills area.
In 2003, the milestone was damaged by a vehicle and remains in a most precarious position.
There are only five milestones remaining in Howard County, as others have been lost to time, vandalism, and construction. Adjacent property owners have carefully attended to the remaining four milestones.
Built in the late 1800s on Main Street in Elkridge, the Brumbaugh House has been the home of many physicians. The most notable of these was Dr. Brumbaugh, who purchased the house in the 1920s.
The Elkridge Heritage Society now owns the house. The Society is looking to membership, donations (including material and labor), and fund raising events to make extensive repairs to the house.
Copyright (C) 2015 Preservation Howard County
St. Louis Church
The beginnings of this small church go back to the chapel at Doughoregan Manor, a home of Charles Carroll of Carrollton, the signer of the Declaration of Independence. In 1855, Howard County had just been formed from Anne Arundel County, and the Catholic community in the Clarksville area had grown large enough to build its own church. John O’Donnell donated the land for the "new" church in 1855. The church building was completed and dedicated in 1856. By 1889, the congregation outgrew this small new church and a new larger church was built and dedicated on Old Columbia Pike.
The 19th century church, still owned and maintained by the St. Louis Parish, has fallen on hard times. The interior is gutted; the roof is in need of replacement; and much of the woodwork, including window and doorframes, is rotted. The Archdiocese of Baltimore, ultimate owners of the site, took control of the project. Although substantial funds have been raised, no actual restoration has been started. The roof withstood one more winter, but may not withstand another.
Dr. James Hall constructed Claremont Overlook in 1858. It is an outstanding and rare example of an architect-designed home in the Italianate style. A one-story brick outbuilding behind the house likely served as a kitchen and may predate the main house.
According to Howard County Tourism, Inc., the site, which overlooks the Thomas Viaduct and Patapsco River, was the only Civil War fort/battery in Howard County. During the Civil war, Maryland was mostly sympathetic to the southern cause. If Maryland had been allowed to secede with the rest of the Southern states, the capital of Washington would be located behind enemy lines. To secure the state, Lincoln sent General Benjamin Butler to occupy important positions throughout the state. On May 5th, 1861, General Butler sent the 8th New York and 6th Massachusetts Regiments and Cook's Battery to protect the railroad property from attack or sabotage by the South.
Currently, the site is being considered for residential development.
The Enchanted Forest
This theme park, which was opened in 1955, was one of only a few storybook theme parks left in the United States that have reached the half-century mark.
Current owners, Kimco Realty and Clark's Elioak Farm, have entered into an agreement for the movement of the structures to Elioak's petting farm. While many of the structures have been removed, funds are needed to complete the movement of other items and the restoration of all the structures in their new home at Elioak Farm.
Mount Moriah Lodge
The Mount Moriah Lodge is a two-story frame building on Guilford Road. It was constructed in 1896 or 1897 and had been a place where the African American community could gather to celebrate their religion and their community. A variety of African American fraternal organizations were formed here.
Currently, the building has been stabilized and waterproofed through a grant from PHC. Additional funds and community support are needed to continue its restoration and adaptive use.
Elk Ridge Assembly Room
Judge Dobin proposed the Elk Ridge Assembly Room in 1869 as a unique place to bring together the neighbors of Lawyers Hill who were divided by the Civil War. The residents constructed the building in 1871 on land donated by Judge Dobin. The building is simple in design to serve the purpose of neighborhood gatherings and theatrical presentations. Howard County Tourism, Inc. and the Maryland Office of Tourism Development hope to include this site in Maryland's next Civil War Trails program.
While time has not deteriorated its original purpose, time has taken its toll on the building. The community is trying to raise funds for basic needs through bake sales and plant sales.
MonteJoy/ Santa Fe Farm may have existed as a dependency of "Chews Resolution Manor" as early as 1695. The Howard County Historic Sites Inventory identifies the stone building lying immediately northeast of the main house as an original slave quarters. Just adjacent to the slave quarters is a log cabin, which is clad in wood siding. This cabin may predate the main house and may have also served as slave quarters.
The main house has been renovated, but the two outbuildings have partially collapsed due to neglect.
The photo below shows the outbuildings before they collapsed.
Clover Hill was built around or before 1798. The brick and frame house with a gable roof is an example of late eighteenth-century architecture with nineteenth-century additions.
In 2001, the County entered into its first "curatorship" contract based on a similar State program. The contract is a public/private initiative that seeks to create an adaptive use opportunity for Clover Hill. That curatorship formally fell through this past Spring. The County is actively seeking other opportunities for the restoration and use of the farmhouse.
Woodlawn Slave Quarters
The Woodlawn Slave Quarters represents one of the very few known-surviving buildings of its type in Howard County.
This early significant structure, owned by the Columbia Association and once hidden by vines and vegetation, is in poor repair. The Columbia Council has allocated funds towards stabilizing and protecting this resource