Copyright (C) 2015 Preservation Howard County
Preservationist of the Year Awards
On September 25, 2010, Preservation Howard County held its ninth annual "Preservationist of the Year" awards at Historic Waverly Mansion. The 2010 awards were presented to:
Gary J. Arthur - the Senator James Clark, Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award
Gary J. Arthur was selected to receive the Senator James Clark,Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award for his leadership, stewardship,and vision as Director of the Department of Recreation and Parks. While building a nationally recognized and innovative recreation and parks system that looked to the future, he included programs and sites that honored the history and heritage of Howard County. His works included tourism favored sites such as PFI, B & O Railroad Station and the Thomas Issac Log Cabin. Other sites include the Pfeiffer's Corner School House and the McKenzie Bank Barn which became part of the Rockburn Heritage Park. His vision included preserving history in a way that gave a new use exemplified by: Waverly Mansion, the Blandair Regional Park, still in progress, the Robinson Nature Center, soon to be competed, and the restoration of historic Troy Hill to be part of the planned Troy Regional Park. His wife and sons accepted the award, shown here with PHC President Mary Catherine Cochran.
Jane Fleming is being recognized for her work in creating an awareness of the history and heritage of Poplar Springs, her work with the Department of Recreation and Parks in the restoration of the Poplar Springs and preserving the history and heritage of the Maryland Section of the Historic National Road.
Howard County Conservancy
The Howard County Conservancy is being recognized for the relocation and restoration of the Monjoy Barn. The barn, dating to the mid 1800's, was moved from the Dawson Lee property in Columbia Hills. The barn has been adapted for various educational and community activities.
Ellicott City Volunteer Firemen's Association
The Ellicott City Volunteer Firemen's Association is being recognized for the restoration of
Engine 21 and its preservation as a symbol of Howard County's fire safety history and heritage. The engine, a "Master Series" 750 g. p. m. pumper was introduced by American Le France at the Chief's Convention in Birmingham, Alabama in October 1926. The engine stayed in service until the 1960's.