2014 Top Ten Endangered Sites
A 1600’s land patent by the Honorable John Dorsey of Annapolis. The meeting place in the Revolutionary War where military plans were made in its cellar. Over the years it has undergone several restorations and now is to be part of the Troy Regional Park. PHC is concerned how this National Historic Register property will be adapted to preserve its place in Howard County history and shared with the community.
A commercial center of the Simpsonville community in the mid 1700’s. This mill provided the milling of grain to the local farmers and flour and meal to the residents. The ruins of the mill and adjacent property would be better served if they were quickly transferred from the State Highway Administration to Howard County for greater protection, preservation as part of the Robinson Nature Center programs.
Copyright (C) 2015 Preservation Howard County
Commodore Joshua Barney House
One of the 39 National Historic Registered properties in Howard County. It was saved from financial neglect in 1809 by Joshua Barney with his marriage to the widow Coale and served as his home until his death in 1813. Later
it served as the Elmwood Manor School. The house has had excellent preservation care over the years as a bed and breakfast and today is for sale. There is a concern as to what will happen to this historic property with a new owner.
This mid 1800 stone and wood home is representative of middle class homes built in Ellicott City during 1850-1900. The property is currently part of the plans for the proposed Lot F development. Community concern centers on the encroachment of planned housing around it affecting its historic setting.
Rockburn Heritage Park
The restoration and addition of the Doyle Spring House and Barn buildings to Clover Hill, a late 1700's home, the Pfieffer Corner School House, and the McKenzie Bank Barn will provide an interpretive heritage park setting of buildings representing Howard County’s history.
Ellicott City Jail
This building, in the heart of the city’s historic district, offers great potential to be adapted for a public building or private business. The adaptive use of the Baltimore County abandoned jail in Towson as a café could serve as a model for adaptive use aa a tourist destination.
Community support is still needed to complete the plans of the Patapsco Heritage Greenway to restore safety railings, create a viewing area, and provide interpretive signage at this significant engineering construction. Information on the plans on fundraising can be made to President John Slater at 410-992-0001 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Daisy General Store and Outpost
The pending sale of the property has the community concerned whether new ownership will result in the loss of this last crossroads community's historic building. It remains a reminder and symbol of what was this small community's commerce center and social center for dances and pot luck suppers.
Highland Crossroads Community
The Greater Highland Crossroads Association (GHCA) is continuing its work with others in Western Howard County to create a plan that will protect and invigorate their historic crossroads community established in 1759. The Plan would encourage the revitalization of the village crossroads by promoting attractive, well-designed new residential development, by removing the potential for undesirable conditional uses from the zoning law, and by encouraging village crossroads to continue to provide goods and services to the local community as needed.
Historic National Road
Unregulated development risks the historic integrity of this designated National Road Scenic Byway, which was built in the early 1800's as the first federally planned and funded highway in the country. Today this historic road, which started in Cumberland, Maryland, and connected the port of Baltimore with the Northwest Territories, is known in Howard County as Route 144. More information can be found by contacting the Maryland National Road Association at 410-489-9100 or www.marylandnationalroad.org.