Copyright (C) 2015 Preservation Howard County
THE 2015 TOP
The 2015 list of Top Ten Endangered Historic Sites in Howard County was announced in May, calling for residents, businesses, local officials, and county planners to work together to preserve the county's historic treasurers.
Harriet Tubman School
Preservation Howard County supports the Harriet Tubman Foundation's continued effort for the school to be transferred to the from the Howard County School System. Accomplishment of this long waited promise would provide for an African American Cultural Center exhibiting the history and heritage of Howard County African American contributions.
Ellicott City Jail
This building in the heart of the city’s historic district offers great potential to be adapted for a public building or private business. The adaptive use of the Baltimore County abandoned jail in Towson as a café could serve as a model for adaptive use and tourist destination.
This Mill was a commercial center of the Simpsonville community in the mid 1700's. The Mill ruins and the adjacent property has been transferred from the Maryland Sate Highway Administration to Howard County. This provides for added protection, preservation and for educational programs by the Robinson Nature Center.
Listed on the Howard County Historic Sites Inventory, Wild Wood, is a home of beautiful proportions and uncluttered lines. Viewed by preservationists as an aarchitectural gem, Wild Wood was built by Achsah Ann Ridgely and her husband Rinaldo Dorsey in 1826. The house is now for sale. PHC isconcerned about future ownership and the protection of this historic property.
A 1600’s land patent by the Honorable John Dorsey of Annapolis. The meeting place in the Revolutionary War where military plans were made in its cellar. Over the years it has undergone several restorations and now is to be part of the Troy Regional Park. PHC is concerned how this National Historic Register property will be adapted to preserve its place in Howard County history and shared with the community.
Highland Crossroads Community
The Greater Highland Crossroads Association (GHCA) is continuing is work with others in Western Howard County to create a plan that will protect and invigorate their historic crossroad community established in 1759. The Plan would encourages the revitalization of the village crossroads by promoting attractive, well-designed new residential development, by removing the potential for undesirable conditional uses from the zoning law, and by encouraging village crossroads to continue to provide goods and services to the local community is needed.
Commodore Joshua Barney House
One of the 39 National Historic Regisered properties in Howard County. It was saved frm financial neglect in 1809 by Joshua Barney with his marriage to the widow Coale and served as his home until his death in 1813. Later it served as the Elmwood Manor School. The house has had excellent preservation care over the years as a bed and breakfast and today is for sale. There is a concern as to what will happen to this historic property with a new owner.
Daisy General Store & Outpost
Pending sale of the property has the community concerned whether new ownership will result in the loss of this once crossroad community’s historic building. It remains a reminder and symbol of what was the commerce and social center for dances and pot luck suppers for this small community
Rockburn Heritage Park
The restoration and addition of the Doyle Spring House and Barn buildings to Clover Hill a late 1700s home, the Pfieffer Corner School House and the McKenzie Bank Barn will provide an interpretive heritage park setting of buildings representing Howard County’s history.
Community support is still needed to complete the plans of the Patapsco Heritage Greenway to restore safety railings, create a viewing area and interpretive signage at this significant engineering construction. Information on the plans on fund raising can be made to President John Slater at 410-992-0001 or email@example.com
PREVIOUS ENDANGERED SITES:
Click on each year to view previous sites